The Adventures of Don Juan

Sunday, June 04, 2006

The Great Nosh and Gold, Gold, Gold: the ANSW relay Gold Rush

10.00am, 15 km Nosh run, Lindfield to Seaford

Good to catch up with a lot of CRs at the start of the NOSH: Owl, Jen , Go Girl, Ellie, MPHaZ or HazChem, Steve from Japan, Wildthing, and Mr Wildthing.

I also bumped into Dennis, our ANSW relay 3rd leg runner, who confirmed that we'd come first place in yesterday's 4km relay. Chris hung around for the presentation and collected the gold. The rest of the team must be getting pretty blaise about pulling in the medals, since we all went home early.

The Nosh was one tough run, especially the middle section. I ran and, much to my horror, walked up the steepest hills I've been up in a race. This is a run worthy of its own special preparation rather than a substitute long sunday run. I won't be taking it lightly again. I got a great start although near the front the race is literally run at breakneck speed given the rocky surface and undulations. I found myself looking forward to road races after a while. I found the combination of pace and rough surface more challenging than six foot track in several parts.

I faded in the middle section when the strength just wasn't there in tired glutes and legs to pick up the pace up the top of the hills.
I finished in 70.01, 4th in the age category and 36 overall. No disgrace but quite humbling ( a sensation that won't last long believe me ;-)).

8 Comments:

At 3:34 pm, Blogger Ellie80 said...

great work DJ - on yesterday and todays run!! f**k that was hard...

 
At 3:50 pm, Blogger Jen said...

Well done DJ. Lovely to see you (albeit extremely briefly) again. I must say I'm really pleased to hear that parts of it are tougher than Six Foot - bring it on I say

;-)

 
At 5:23 pm, Blogger Katie said...

Hey, Hey a humble DJ and I missed it ;-) See I wasn't just being a wus saying it was hard run~ but hepas of FUN!!! I have no idea how you could run that in 70 mins.... it took me 91! Once again another stellar performance... you are making it tough for yourself..... soon all we will expect is gold winning performances :-) See you tuesday!!

 
At 9:23 pm, Blogger 2P said...

Congratulations on yesterdays bling - sorry I missed you at the Nosh ;-)

 
At 9:55 pm, Blogger Superflake said...

Good work on the Nosh mate. I thought that large ares would have helped you up the hills. Apparently not. Congrats on the gold medal.

 
At 7:02 am, Blogger Horrie said...

Finishing the Nosh in 70 minutes and 4th in your age group quite humbling. I wish I could be that humble. Great running on the weekend and congratulations on the Gold on Saturday.

 
At 12:17 pm, Blogger Tesso said...

Yay, it was!!!

 
At 12:19 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on a good run and 4th in your category.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home