The Adventures of Don Juan

Saturday, September 02, 2006

1 km PB

8.30 am, 1 kilometre, Andrew Boy Charlton Pool

A beautiful morning for a stroll down to Woolloomooloo and the ABC pool which opened yesterday for the summer. It is a 50 m heated seawater pool built over the sea at Woolloomooloo Bay, and divided into 8 lanes: fast, medium, slow and easy.

I strutted up in my bulging budgie-smugglers, baggy swim-shorts actually, and jumped into the slow lane, not having done laps for 9 years. I had to rest every 50 metres. I spent the first 600 metres fiddling with leaky goggles: adjusting the elastic straps when I really needed to adjust the bones in my head. I eventually kept most of the pool out of my goggles, and picked up the pace until I was moving like a fish, starfish.

The swim must have taken me at least 30 minutes including rest breaks every 50 metres, except for one 100m marathon effort. I still swam a PB!
A pleasant way to exercise, but the ironman career is on hold.

5 Comments:

At 3:09 pm, Blogger Lulu said...

Your swimming is as good as mine by the sounds of things. Hope you're soon back to land based PBs

 
At 3:11 pm, Blogger Ewen said...

Good PB DJ! I'd start swimming again if I could use that beautiful pool.

 
At 12:42 pm, Blogger Katie said...

We ran past there yesterday and commented on some poor guy splasing aroung ;-) Nice work!

 
At 8:44 am, Blogger Tesso said...

On the rare occasions I swim I have the same problem with the goggles. Wouldn't it be great to have a plasticine face.

 
At 4:20 pm, Blogger 2P said...

Good thing you got water in your googles otherwise you could end up with black line fever if you are not careful DJ! The hypnotically boring effect of staring down could lure you back again and again to try and break that new PB - me I only swim blindfolded.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home