The Adventures of Don Juan

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

1200 metres - it's all in your head

6.30am, 4 * 1200 metres, Centennial Park

I felt pretty good after a light day yesterday. I noticed I wasn't moving particularly energetic or fast on the warm up run to Centennial Park.

A good turn out to Sean's including this week the reliable Kit. During the warm ups I felt especially sluggish and couldn't get moving during the stride throughs.

Pretty quickly we were all off and Rocket Rod shot out front. I followed him around and nobody else seemed interested in joining him or me. I again felt OK on the first couple of laps but nothing flash and started wondering whether I was still suffering back stiffness. I did not feel like I had much in reserve, or so I thought until the last repetition.

Rod sat behind me in the first lap of the last 1200 rep. so I pushed the pace along for the first couple of laps and in the third and last lap I picked up the pace again. Rod moved to pass me in the last 50 m and I picked it up yet again and we crossed the finish together.
Times were 4.31, 4.26, 4.24 and 4.07.

4 Comments:

At 10:26 am, Blogger 2P said...

DJ - I got a theory about 3 hour + runs - you feel crap afterwards until towards the end of your next hill or speed session. I dunno what it is in technical terms, but I think it takes a bit of lactic work to get the sludge out of your muscles.

It's nice to have theories ;-)

 
At 10:29 am, Blogger Mister G said...

More a case of not being ABLE to run with you than not WANTING to, Don Juan...

 
At 12:17 pm, Blogger Tesso said...

Wow, a 4:07 for the last one! You need to get that Rocket Rod character moving to pass you all the time if that's the effect it has.

 
At 12:39 pm, Blogger Katie said...

Haha I will claim some responsibility- my gentle ecouragement to bring this one home :-) You looked good this morning!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home