The Adventures of Don Juan

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Switch into 2nd gear

6.30am, 4 * 1600m, Centennial Park

Good to be back into the intervals, 4 laps of McKay Oval for each 1,600m repetition. A huge crowd there at Sean's morning squad, maybe 10-15 people anyway. A couple of new people, John in the long synthetic squeeky shorts I didn't like listening to, the shorts that is, and a new English slapper Lulu had reportedly recruited.

We all started together and felt like it was a big 3,000m track race. I thought I'd go out easy and started the first repetition easy. Glutes were holding up.

Royworlds led us out and ran a very well judged pace in each repetition, and made my job of pacing and easing back into intervals much easier. Big Rocket Rod sat behind me for the early reps as he usually does, when he could be well ahead of me. Rocket picked it up in the third repetition and sat right behind me early. I picked up the leg speed a touch on the third lap expecting Rocket to make a move. I was just being a tease here and holding him off. Still behind me, Rocket made a dash for it with 200m to go on the last lap of the 3rd repetition. I stayed ahead of him and we were catching Royworlds. Royworlds is gonna wonder what on earth is going on and we caught him with 100m to go. Not being completely foolish or fast, I then let them go. I'm supposed to be coming back from injury anyway.

The last lap was true to form with Royworlds running a strong rep, I hung in there, and Rocket well back.

Ran 6.24, 6.13, 5.51, and 5.53.

Seemed to have pulled up OK; I'll find out about it tomorrow morning.

2 Comments:

At 11:27 am, Blogger Jen said...

I wonder if Lulu is going to think today's comment is now the nicest thing you have ever said to her ;-)

Glad to see that you are now into 2nd gear - hope you pull up well.

 
At 1:12 pm, Blogger Katie said...

Good effort this morning... I was soooo happy to only do three!!

I hope you pull up ok!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home