The Adventures of Don Juan

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Crushed in the comfort zone

6.30 am, 2km + 1km, Centennial Park

I woke up a bit earlier so I had time for an longer warm up. I was also fresher so the warm up drills were relatively fluid this morning.

Finally, an easy marathon taper training session: I've been waiting for this for a year. A good crowd out this morning including a couple of newbies. One guy marched in wearing a skin tight black sleeveless top and tight shorts. Looked like he'd come straight from the parade.

For the 2km interval Sean said to the 6' trackers take it easy, so I lined up at the back of the pack. Kit accused me of having an ego and just wanting to overtake people. I was really crushed by that comment - it's a jungle out there on the track.
But not that crushed that I didn't overtake most people in the first 100m. Wine Trail Runner was streaking out the front and unstoppable this morning. I made myself do a little bit of work as I moved up to second spot, but stayed in the comfort zone despite a rampant ego running out of control.

The 1km was over pretty quickly and time to warm down, just as it happened, as Kit was running past finishing off her 1.2km. So I ran on the inside of Kit for 150m giving her some really encouraging words. I got one smile out of Kit despite what I was saying was really serious.
Good fun session (for me), if only they were all that easy.

I've only got three more blogs before six foot track, and then I'll have a break in keeping with the running program which gives me two easy weeks off the hard stuff. So I'll try to write something of substance by Friday, and display that vulnerability and humility before I'm crushed again by the track.

3 Comments:

At 11:33 am, Blogger Lulu said...

You can't not write your race report. You can have a break after that :) BTW, do you want a lift home after the race? I'll be coming straight home and can throw you out at Rushcutters.

 
At 12:58 pm, Blogger 2P said...

LOl you are ging to display your humility and vulnerability? I think Kit would prefer a longer post ;-)

Not long now DJ....

 
At 1:30 pm, Blogger Katie said...

Hahaha I can't even remember what you were saying... somthing about soft grass and taking it easy :-) I was too scared you were going to keep that up for the last 400ms....what have I unleashed. Haha I forgot you solicitor's are good with words! So in the heckling department you win ;-)

I am with Lulu though.... you have to post your race report! Don't worry about humilty and vulnerability... just all the gory details :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home