The Adventures of Don Juan

Sunday, February 26, 2006

Pacing greyhounds

7.15am, 2 hours, Centennial Park

A huge sleep in, by an extra 30 minutes, and eventually got out the door for the last long run before six foot.

On the first inner fence lap, I caught up with masseuse Easy Tiger and Royworlds who later disappeared in search of the perfect hill. By 8.00 am I joined the larger group and kept up with the pace on the outside fence. I felt much better this week not having done the extra hour beforehand and handled the pace in the larger group. Legs felt good and I snuck up to the front group while no-one was watching.

We did see Lulu on some secret training looking very composed.

On the second inner fence, I had to dig deep to hang in with the greyhounds (Sean's young squad members) while going up the slight incline to the cafe. One young lass then blew past me and dragged me along up to another guy. This was the last long hard session before six foot so I went up an extra gear, and passed both of them in the final surge to the pavilion. I definitely won't be surging like that at six foot track until I go for the communal hot showers at Jenolan Caves resort. I'll have to think of those hot showers to get my second wind on Black Range.

I then cruised home for the final 20 minutes a spent force. It was a good final long work out.

4 Comments:

At 4:21 pm, Blogger Lulu said...

I was only composed 'cos I was walking. You looked pretty in control yourself, surrounded by all those yoofs!

 
At 4:47 pm, Blogger Katie said...

I include you as one of those grey hounds!!! I bet that burnt some of those young guys to have you blow them off at the end! Go DJ!! Nothing like a bit of testosterone!

 
At 8:53 pm, Blogger 2P said...

There will be no prams on Black Range - good thing you're not a virgin heading into those communal showers.

Me - I'll be cooling my heels in the Jenolan River hoping to become ambulatory again some time in the next 2 weeks.

Nice last long run DJ.

 
At 10:04 am, Blogger Gronk said...

Enjoy your taper DJ. Not long to go now !

 

Post a Comment

<< Home