The Adventures of Don Juan

Saturday, April 15, 2006

Hungry like the wolf

2.30 pm, Randwick-Botany Harriers 7km Road Race, SirJoseph Banks Park, Botany

It felt good not going for a run this morning, and pretty weird. At 7am I thought what am I going to do now, so I went and bought the paper.

Tip for early afternoon racing, don't get hungry at 11.30am, it is too late for a decent feed. I'll stay hungry next time.

The Joey Banks Park course is flat on a bike path and road, and fast, at least faster than the hilly cross country course at Mutch Park. There was a small field with a few of Sean's runners in attendance: Vat, Mohammed, Easy Tiger, Mr Ed, David, and Lowana spectating.

I felt tired during a short warm up and then felt the lunch inside me.

At the start I followed Easy Tiger, Vat, Mohammed and Ed out and briefly noticed the views across Kingsford Smith airport. The pace was pretty decent, a bit hot for me at the start, but the others didn't disappear. There was a guy breathing heavily right behind me, and I was keen to get rid of him.

I ran most of the way with Vat and Easy Tiger. The road section at the top of the park reminded me of a small scale Sydney Marathon Clinic course with deserted streets. After the turn around, Easy Tiger surged at the top of the park and I thought he would disappear with a big kick. I then ran along with Vat and he also seemed keen to move away from me. Vat told me to stop surging which was quite funny but I was too out of breath to reply that I was surging for his benefit. Vat ended up pushing me along until the finish. It was faster than I wanted to go. I'm still not convinced I enjoy the 5km - 10km distance at this pace. So I'll have to give it away or get fitter.

I finished 5th in a miniscule field. Time was 25.27. Happy with the run.

2 Comments:

At 9:21 pm, Blogger vat_man said...

Handy little run, DJ - you're looking very strong at the moment. Very good chance to run under 37 minutes at North Head...mind you, you'd be a very handy addition to the Striders' XC squad!

These short races are fantastic for speed and efficiency. You never train as hard as you race. Look forward to further battles through the year!

 
At 9:41 pm, Blogger Tesso said...

Nothing worse than a heavy breathing guy ... then again ;-)

Wendall was blinded by the light. You can send him back when he sobers up.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home