The Adventures of Don Juan

Saturday, April 01, 2006

Striders 10km Domain

7.00am, 10 km, Domain

I did my first volunteering for striders on registration, which I hear was relatively quiet for non-members. I was certainly slow and a quiet model of concentration in transcribing numbers and names lest I foul up the results records, but it wasn't rocket science and the time passed quickly. And for a few visitors I got to note the contact details down ;-) for the follow up 'telephone survey' . President Dave efficiently managed volunteers to allow me a warm up before the run.

No great expectations for today's run after a shortened return to speed work this week at training, which meant I washed down last night's rainbow trout with a couple glasses of red wine. Perfect preparation.

I started actually fast, but not that fast reaching 1km in 4.05 min and thought I'd be around 40 minutes for a comeback to racing. For the first few kms I alternated between feeling good and surging and holding the pace when I felt flat, I could feel those pegs hadn't quite forgotten the punishment of six foot.

I was getting a bit of stick from those volunteers at the Finish line drinks station, Kit & Lowana, because I'd earlier predicting today's performance as a fartlek effort. It was quite funny although I was gasping for air to acknowledge the cruel teasing.

I felt a bit fatigued around 4 km and thought I might tank after 5km but held on in the second lap. I was around 23.30 at 6km, 31.10 at 8km and thought I'd give 39 minutes a shake. I followed Luke Skyrunner for a while until he took off just after 8km.

The little bit of good karma generated by volunteering returned to the final lap of the course. Finished in a small PB of 38.31. This was another surprise.

Finished up with a scenic and pleasant breakfast with Kerry, David, Deanne, and those naughty volunteers.

5 Comments:

At 4:35 pm, Blogger Katie said...

Were staking a claim for that PB... could't have done it with out us!! Maby it was something in the water I gave you for your final lap.... DRUG TEST THAT MAN!!!

Nice to catch up for breaky.... glad to see you got homein one piece! Now... be kid on tuesday :-)

 
At 5:29 pm, Blogger 2P said...

Nice PB for a boy from the bush - well done.

 
At 12:23 am, Blogger Tesso said...

Obviously you've been bludging in previous 10 races ;-)

Congrats!!!

 
At 7:09 am, Blogger Bennyr said...

Bloody hell, DJ. That´s a bit quick!

Congratulations!

Cheers,
Ben

 
At 7:27 am, Blogger Gronk said...

Nice PB on a tough tight course DJ. I think you have recovered from the bush bash now. ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home