The Adventures of Don Juan

Sunday, March 26, 2006

The 'no bike' and 'no swim' BRW Triathlon

8.00am, one hour, 12km, Mrs Macquarie's Chair

A late start and an easy warm up through Woolloomooloo to the Domain. Suddenly people everywhere and I remembered a few weeks ago Mr Lulu talking of the BRW triathlon. Today was the day.

So I picked a path between race marshalls near the Art Gallery and I was suddenly on the course and in the mix wearing my six foot track singlet. The field was very spread out so having done a nice warm up I picked up the pace and had tremendous fun weaving through the field. Kit would say it was good for my ego ;-) . Suddenly the six foot track recovery runs were over and game on, I was probably moving at around 4 min/km pace. There was a mixture of runners in tri gear and more than a few weekend warriors with large beer guts spilling out between tight triathlon tops and bike shorts. I bet they hadn't been on Lulu's diet.

I ran to the finish line and pulled out just before the line having done half of the course. I ran around the finishing area and found the start line. The triathlon was starting in waves so I rejoined the course after the start line to do a full loop of the 4km course with a new pack of runners. I was enjoying the race pace so I thought I'd run out the hour around the Domain. I started another lap. On the second full lap I bumped into Presto from Sean's squad and did a lap with him. Had a quick chat to Spud after finding the Gatorade drinks stand at the finish. I was still 20 minutes short of the one hour run, so I started a third lap. After a bit more overtaking I heard some person running up to me from behind, I slowed down to let this guy catch me. I checked him out and then I poured it on for 2km to finish off a total of three laps.

There was a nice bit of leg strength there for the surges and it was a good work out doing my first pace work since six foot track. I haven't had this much fun for a long time.

6 Comments:

At 11:51 am, Blogger Lulu said...

Sounds like great fun! It's a shame you didn't find Steve so you could spur him on!

Are you back to SWEAT this week then?

 
At 1:09 pm, Blogger Superflake said...

Secret training on the Striders domain course for next Saturday was it? Good to see you didn't lose all your pace up in the hills. See you Sat without the gut please!!!!

 
At 4:35 pm, Blogger Katie said...

That sounds like the cheeky DJ we know and love!! Good.... your ego would have needed a bit of proping up after 6ft (not!) Sorry I missed you on Thursday I have a photo to give you from 6ft..... so now you have to come Tuesday!

 
At 4:40 pm, Blogger Ellie80 said...

hehe - i feel sorry for all those poor blokes (with the beer guts) that you probably lapped. but sounds like a lot of fun!

 
At 5:26 pm, Blogger 2P said...

Maybe you could get a berth for that showboat at Garden Island.

 
At 6:55 pm, Blogger Tesso said...

We'll have to look out for you in the piccies. Serial pest Peter Hoare would be jealous.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home