The Adventures of Don Juan

Sunday, March 12, 2006

Six Foot Track Result - one for the true believers

8.00am 11 March 2006, 45km - 4 hours 13 minutes, Six Foot Track

I've posted a race report on Coolrunning for those interested in the gory detail. Plu caught a decent picture of me on Black Ranges as well which is on the photos page.

I woke up this morning at the usual time, and for the first time in a long time didn't even think about a run. I'm suffering a few mild symptoms from yesterday's run: sore left foot, tired quads and hamstrings, and be warned, a swollen head.

As for six foot track, in retrospect 4 hr 13min is almost like a dream considering the struggle that went on over the course. The heat and hills were tough. Sean's training had given me a combination of strength for the hills and a handy race pace on the flat. I broke the course down into sections. During the race, there was just a series of unplanned events that gave me the kick to move on at critical times. The slow stairs at the start put a small rocket up my posterior to make up time, and the downhills to the river combined to sweep me along neatly.

The hills brought me chasing Jose who was the only other runner I saw not walking min-mini saddle and Pluvio. I kept open the option of walking some of Pluvio. But after running to the top of mini-mini feeling ok, and passing Jose on the flat, I had him behind me, and then in front of me and in my cross-hairs. I wasn't going to let him disappear from view. Nothing like the thrill of the hunt and the epic chase to keep me going. I then saw him briefly walking near the top of Pluvio, and I thought 'gotch ya'.

Then on Black Range I was executing Sean's race plan to start winding up the pace. The pre-race calculation of target paces was very reassuring and helped me relax while I got tired.
I then had Jose and a small pack forming behind me which I kept seeing from each drink station late in the Black Ranges. The sensation of being swamped by a chasing pack of runners was a good motivator. I saw Suzanne Kelly before Pluvio and there she was again at Deviation, like magic, with Jose. This pack really pushed me along between Deviation and Caves Road crossing, although it probably started to fragment.

Caves Road Xing to the steep downhill was mentally the hardest section. Only about 4 kms long but it seemed to go on forever and taunted me with a few small uphills and open sections in the blazing sun.

I reserved a bit for the steep descent since I can remember the quads burning last time with the strain. This time it was easier.

It was nice to surprise a few people with an early appearance at the finish. I was moved by all the hugs and kisses at the finish. I really was a rock star for 15 mintues.

There were lots of good performances, and Royworlds debuted well. Well done to Mohammed and 2Ps for a gutsy run in the circumstances. Next year I'll be watching Kit and Go Girl go for the glory.

I came home on Saturday with Bandanna, the Owl and Lulu. I enjoyed Bandanna's race report. The funny stories kept coming after Katoomba. If you want a funny story, don't pass up the offer of a lift with the Owl and Lulu.

I've got two weeks of light recovery runs so I doubt if I'll blog much for a couple of weeks.
I've thought a few times that this might be my last marathon distance run as well. Six foot track preparation was pretty gruelling and a long time in the making.

Thanks again for your support during the build up.

10 Comments:

At 12:54 pm, Blogger Katie said...

Mark, Mark, Mark what can I say! I know your a man of few words (at times) but I am going to blah on anyway! What a fantastic and inspiring effort yesterday! I am still buzzing this morning :-) Seriously you did surprise us when you popped out at the finish and we were soooo excited for you! Your have put in such a consistant hard effort and you should lap it up... well deserved! I am using you to motivate me for the next 4 weeks! i have really enjoyed sharing a part of your training and hope you keep blogging and SWEATing!!

DJ the rock star!!!!

 
At 2:24 pm, Blogger Lulu said...

I'm sure all those screaming women at the end did wonders for your reputation as a ladies man.. good thing we didn't throw any underwear at you!

I enjoyed the drive home, although a bigger car might be needed if your head gets any bigger!

Seriously, it was a great performance and after all the hard work you deserve to enjoy every minute of your rock star status :)

 
At 5:05 pm, Blogger Gronk said...

Awsome job DJ. You finished in elite company mate. I guess that makes you one of them ! Last big distance ? Never say never.

 
At 5:11 pm, Blogger Jen said...

You deserve your rock star status after yesterday! Kit was right - we were so surprised to see you suddenly appear at the finish line after you kept your cards pretty close to your chest at lunch last week.

Simply amazing. I am so happy for you.

CONGRATULATIONS!

 
At 7:12 pm, Blogger Tesso said...

Can I have your autograph :-)

 
At 11:49 am, Blogger Superflake said...

DJ congratulations on an awesome time. I reckon that might get you 1st wave start next year. Super performance after all your hard work in the last 6 months

 
At 7:48 pm, Blogger 2P said...

DJ - I don't care if we do have to get KT to do a special XXL version of the the CR Hat so you can wear one - that was a mighty and fantastic run.

In the lead up watching your training and crunching the numbers I was thinking 4.30 for you was possible - but to go 4.13 is absolutely brilliant.

So very well done DJ - savour the feeling.

I'm just surprised you still appeared sober by the time I got there ;-)

 
At 8:15 pm, Blogger Spud said...

Outstanding run DJ, very well run.

 
At 9:08 pm, Blogger Horrie said...

What can I say that others haven't already Mark. Absolutely sensational run. The stuff that dreams are made of. Congratulations! Enjoy the rest, you have certainly earnt it!

 
At 5:53 pm, Blogger Ewen said...

4:13 is a fantastic number DJ. I thought Sean was a good coach.

Enjoy your endless summer!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home