The Adventures of Don Juan

Monday, August 14, 2006

City to Surf

9.30 am Sunday, 14 km, City to Surf

Finished in 56.51, a PB. I was happy with the performance and ran according to form after the comeback from injury.

I knew the run would be tough from Rushcutters Bay. I really flogged myself in the race, and had nothing left by the time I got to the finish. I had thoughts of voluntary retirement on Heartbreak hill and at the 10km mark, but hung on while it got tough. I had Coaster running with me for a few kms from Heartbreak hill and urging me on which was good, and Grandpa asking me if I'd fallen in a hole. I looked that good out there.

I was a bit thirsty most of the run, and I managed to temporarily blind myself in the left eye trying to drink gatorade on the run. The feet blistered later with new-ish socks, and I actually enjoyed the irony that problems only seem to crop up when I'm struggling.

Had I taken the doctor's advice 3 weeks ago to have 3 weeks off running, then I probably wouldn't have run this race. So I was glad I did get out there after a shortened lay-off.

The cheer squad were great at North Bondi and I heard Jen yelling out.

Apart from exhausted thighs and blistered feet, I pulled up well with no injuries. Lucky since I needed a second wind to keep up with MPHaz, FPT and Ellie at the Bondi and Beach Hotels. It was great to catch up with so many people after the race, as well as fellow bloggers like Tesso, Nat, Jen, Owly, Gronk, Lulu, Kit, 26 Miles, Miners, Flake, Vat, Dave, and Blue Dog's Mum. I was drinking light beer all afternoon, and I still got pissed for the first time ever on light beer; I really have lost some serious conditioning.

8 Comments:

At 9:50 pm, Blogger Jen said...

So you ran a PB but did a PW in the beer drinking stakes? You really have lost some conditioning. You need a few hard weeks of training before we start trying to coerce Lulu & WTR into hosting another lunch ;-)

 
At 10:37 pm, Blogger Gronk said...

Nice one DJ. You may be in running form, but you are serioulsy out of drinking form !

 
At 10:52 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on the pb. By my reckoning that's a pace of 4:03 /km, that's flying. I think I hit the right keys on the calculator.

 
At 11:16 pm, Blogger Superflake said...

Congrats on the PB Mark. I'm sure you would have smashed Chemical Haz if you were in form. Maybe a rematch at North Head in a few weeks?

 
At 9:10 am, Blogger Ellie80 said...

i will be so pleased the day that my running form is better than my drinking form... but for now i think its important that i work with my strengths :)

nice run - and good to hang out at the pub(s)!

 
At 1:25 pm, Blogger Katie said...

Light beer???? Although you were probably already dehydrated so It would not have take much!!

Nice work on hanging in there.... blisters ouch!

 
At 3:56 pm, Blogger Horrie said...

Great effort considering recent events DJ. Now that's over, you can concentrate on the next major goal.

 
At 10:36 am, Blogger Tesso said...

Congrats on the PB DJ. Sub 55 next time no doubt.

It was great to catch up and exchange pleasantries :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home