The Adventures of Don Juan

Saturday, April 29, 2006

ANSW Novice 10km

3.15pm, 10 km, Scarborough Park, Ramsgate

My first race as an ANSW registered runner for sydney striders. Funny how running, like an opiate, sucks you in for increasing doses of a hit, and the commitment builds.

In short I had a cracker of a run, a 10 km PB of 37.27, over a minute faster than the last PB 38.31 set 3 weeks ago at striders Domain. A little bit scary how I can pick up that amount of time in such a short time. Today I was expecting around 38.30 or even a low 38.00, but I thought a 37.xx was a long time away or Mission Impossible III.

The course was two 3km loops around a lake and two 2km laps around sports fields. Each loop felt longer than 3km and 2km. I took off at the start behind Vat and sat behind him and spied Mohammed just ahead. So I was comfortable that I was at the right pace and not loafing early. It took me a long time to catch up with Vat; I hate passing good runners like a show pony so I only catch people if I'm comfortable I can stick with them. I then followed Mohammed for a while and caught him at the top of the lake on the second 3km loop. I was on the knife edge calculating whether I'd blow up or hang on with the pace. I reeled in a handful of others over the next couple of kms which is usually a good sign, but I was still worried about blowing up. I appreciated the cheers from the supporters including Sean who said 'dig it in' after 6km. Guess what I'm going to say to Sean next time I see him race. It was great to see Horrie and Belinda out there supporting.

The surface was loose and uneven around the 2km loop, not my favourite part of the course, but I had a couple of others to chase in a quality field, and when I got to the finish I almost fell over the line.

11 Comments:

At 10:15 pm, Blogger 2P said...

Supurb run DJ - that is a huge PB in just a few weeks.

 
At 8:36 am, Blogger Katie said...

Totally deserved!!!!!

Well done Mark, that is all your hard work and committment.... I am not shocked, in fact I think that new pb is a little scared myself :-)

Damm!!!! I knew I should have come to cheer :-) Are you running at Holsworthy next week?

 
At 8:36 am, Blogger Katie said...

Totally deserved!!!!!

Well done Mark, that is all your hard work and committment.... I am nit shocked, in fact I think that new pb is a little scared myself :-)

Damm!!!! I knew I should have come to cheer :-) Are you running at Holsworthy next week?

 
At 9:54 am, Blogger Jen said...

Wow! That's a huge PB. Congratulations. All that sex, death & lentils must be doing wonders for your training :-)

 
At 11:42 am, Blogger Lulu said...

That's great DJ! All that time on the legs is paying off obviously. We'll have to wave good bye to you as you leave the boring morning squad to join Sean's elites soon.

 
At 12:01 pm, Blogger Dave said...

Well done!

I predict another PB as soon as you run a 10km on solid ground.

 
At 12:09 pm, Blogger Superflake said...

Congratulations Mark. A huge PB on a slow course. Can't wait to see what North Head or Holsworthy brings on Saturday.

 
At 1:08 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great run. As predicted, you are a fantastic addition to the Striders ASNW racing "stable"

 
At 2:34 pm, Blogger Horrie said...

Great run Mark. You were looking very strong out there. I agree with Dave. That PB will fall when you get back on the road. It is obvious that all your hard and consistent training is paying off, which is great to see.

 
At 8:33 pm, Blogger Steve's Stuff said...

Congrats on your PB. One day I might be able to get a sub 40 for 10.

 
At 10:10 pm, Blogger Tesso said...

Congrats on a fantastic 10k PB. You realise you are getting a bit scary.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home