The Adventures of Don Juan

Saturday, May 06, 2006

NSW State 10km Road Championships

1.00pm, 10km, Holsworthy Army Base

"Marching soldiers have right of way", and big weapons.

A successful afternoon after a busy and tiring week. There was a big field for the 10km race, a good representation of sydney striders and a few Randwick Botany harriers making up the numbers ;-).

The course was 2 * 4.8 km road loops with 400m extra on road inside the army base. From the start I didn't feel too bad, and slipped in behind Mohammed and Vat ahead of him running strongly. Instead of battling the first few kms as usual, this week I was able to surge a bit after 2km and felt I could hold the pace. So I pushed up the pace a touch and settled into a pretty smooth rhythm: probably the most pleasing part of the run. There were a few long straights and steady gradients up and down on the course so it was easy to run smoothly.

I ended up running between striders Jenny Truscott and Vat most of the race. I went through 5.4 km in around 18.50, a time someone yelled out at the finish line. The second lap was more of a struggle but I ran at close to the same steady pace. Chivalry is not dead, so I passed Jenny T at around 9 km. The last km was a real battle but got home inside 37 minutes.

Ran 36.56 by my watch, a 30 second PB from last week. I never thought of myself as a 36 minute 10km runner. I could get used to this. Good runs from Royworlds and Easy Tiger who was very cagey on his handicap. He could be a professional poker player.

Thanks to the Lulus for a very comfortable ride in the new Italian Lulumobile with racing-red leather upholstery, and personal cigarette ashtray. I left the rollies at home too.

7 Comments:

At 5:58 pm, Blogger Superflake said...

Mate your on fire. Sub 37 10k that is excellent and another PB. Looks very good for sub 80 at SMH Half I tip.Congratulations!

 
At 9:17 am, Blogger Katie said...

Wow.... you are running so well!!! A BIG congratulations!!! I can't wait to see your half... something special I am tipping :-)

Don't worry.... I do believe a Phd in anything qualifies your for nerdom!

 
At 6:39 pm, Blogger 2P said...

Woohoo - another PB - looks like trading sailors in for soldiers really works for you ;-)

 
At 10:03 am, Blogger 26miles said...

Well done D.J. !
That's a great steady improvement on sensible training - was the effort Lentil powered though ?

 
At 5:19 pm, Blogger Tesso said...

Wow, sub 37. You are getting into seriously scary territory DJ. Congrats!

 
At 8:12 pm, Blogger Horrie said...

Congrats on the sub 37 DJ. You are on fire! Those lentils are dynamite! I must try some. ;-)

 
At 9:25 pm, Blogger Ewen said...

36-something sounds good DJ. Keep it going!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home