The Adventures of Don Juan

Saturday, June 17, 2006

Team Gold at Nowra 12km cross country - Blue Dog saves the day

3.00pm, ANSW 12 km long cross country, Nowra

Firstly thanks to the supporters who helped keep me going on a tough hilly course, and for the after-race pastries and sweets that were the best I've had all year. Kit and Elise produced some very tasty savouries.

The 12km course consisted of 3 * 4km circuits on a manicured grass course.
The striders mens teams were missing a few of their regulars and stars. The mens 45+ team secured the services of Blue Dog on his comeback from injury as the final and fourth runner of the all-conquering team. In short, we won first place in the teams event thanks to Blue Dog on a count-back from Kembla Joggers or some other team of jokers: nobody remembers second place-getters anyhow, it's a cruel world.

I went out hard and battled with Dennis from Striders for the first 2km. There seemed to be more downhills than inclines but the legs told me the opposite. It was a hard course which constantly changed direction and height. I was saving myself on the hills although I was pretty tired most of the way around.

Unknown to me, Mohammed was about 20 m behind me most of the race until the big hill on the third circuit. He passed me at the drinks station as I grabbed a drink. I then went up a gear, and cruised downhill to pass him quickly again in cruel fashion after he'd been lining me up for several kms.

I finished strongly and the glutes held up well. Time was 49.49.

5 Comments:

At 9:54 pm, Blogger Katie said...

Congrats... great running again! Always a pleasure to cheer and watch all you guys run! I like the separate races so I get to run and cheer!!

That was such a great day!!! I loved the run... tough but fun :-) Ray had a great day and is somehow under the impression your funny ;-) Thanks for a great day see you tuesday!!

Your going to have more bling than Mr T!!!

 
At 10:18 pm, Blogger Dave said...

Well done DJ and well done team!

Sorry I had to bail pretty quickly at the finish, the kids were getting particularly feral.

Good thing I strategically placed myself just ahead of the dog to give him something to chase all afternoon :)

 
At 10:23 pm, Blogger Superflake said...

Congrats on the new extension to the trophy cabinet. That really must pull in some girls when you show them gold. Lucky I placed myself 200m behind Blue Dog all day and pushed him for you. Good run anyway on a tough course.

 
At 9:10 am, Blogger Tesso said...

Go the over 45s!!!! Lucky the young bucks have got you guys to rely on to salvage some glory :-)

 
At 7:39 pm, Blogger Jen said...

Wow. More bling. You are going to have to move soon if you keep up your winning ways :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home