The Adventures of Don Juan

Sunday, December 11, 2005

A long 2 hour 20 minutes

6.45am 2 hours 20 minutes Centennial Park

As the run panned out, I had nicely nursed myself with an easy day yesterday. Last night had a couple of beers listening to a band playing outdoors on Darlinghurst Road, adjacent to the railway station exit at Kings Cross. First time I've seen the main 'drag' at the Cross blocked to traffic. Wine trail runner would've loved it as much as me: a cover band playing David Bowie, T-Rex, Gary Glitter and Adam Ant. For the record I find that first block of shops in Darlinghurst fromKings X station with strip-clubs, prostitutes, drug-heads full of character and, now that I live in the area, absolutely disgusting. I'm hoping it is only a matter of time before the economics of increasing property values drives them all away.

Back to the run, a strange left knee niggle came out of nowhere yesterday, surfaced for the first 10 mins and disappeared back to where it came from. Hope that's the end of it. At Centennial Park bumped into Peter and picked up the pace doing an inside fence, then caught up with Sean, Cindy and Mohammed. At 7.30am picked up the pace and did another 2 inside fences in 30 minutes which almost stuffed me for the session. By 8.00am the larger group was spread out and I lurked a distance behind the greyhounds up the front most of the way around the outside of the Park. Kept up with Andrew approaching the last inside fence, and then sat behind Sean. Felt like the leg turnover kept me at a half decent pace near the end. Legs were tired. A very good workout. Running home I felt like I was starting to fall apart.

5 Comments:

At 5:07 pm, Blogger Katie said...

Yup... there is definately a seedy side to Sydney (as blogged)... glad to hear you kept your pants on :-)

What a great run this morning!!! 2 inside fences in 30mins.... that is a cracking pace!!! Then to keep up with the grey hounds... I'm impressed!! I can only ever hope to keep them just on my radar :-) With all of this training you are going to suprise the crap out of yourself at 6ft!!! Although I here there are a few more hills than centenial park... you should do Big Bertha twice :-)

 
At 5:18 pm, Blogger 2P said...

Sounds like a good gig on Saturday night.

I would stay away from "nowhere" if I were you :-)

Great run DJ ;-)

 
At 5:41 pm, Blogger Lulu said...

I don't allow Wine Trail Runner out to that part of town, particularly not in the company of a Don Juan!

Not in retirement, just having a few days off to let some niggles settle, have a massage and try to recover some energy. I had the permission of the coach, honest!

 
At 10:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Unless they were also playing covers of Kiss, Slade and The Radiators, I probably wouldn't be that interested.

 
At 7:51 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

I had to smile at Kit's remark about "surprise the crap out of yourself at 6ft"! Hope it's nothing like the surprise I got when I brought up all the crap I'd eaten for breakfast!

I hope you & family all have a wonderful Christmas, Don Juan!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home